Parish News and Events
St. James's Church, Centenary Celebrations
|Centenary Events with Photo Archive|
|March 2016||We are very happy to announce that, after hard We are delighted to report that the builders moved in to St James' Church, Murton on Monday 14th March.
Work has begun on the long-awaited construction of a porch with toilet and store cupboard and a kitchenette inside church. This is the culmination of a great deal of hard, enthusiastic planning and fund-raising, for which we are most grateful. Just as work was beginning we were delighted to receive another grant of £5,000.
All this means that we have nearly reached our target of £72,500. Please keep praying for God's blessing on this project - and keep fund raising! The St James' Church Spring Lunch takes place this year at St Thomas' Church, Osbaldwick on Saturday 30th April and we would be grateful for your support, details of this are on page 2 and in the Community News.
Please note that there will be no services at St James' until the work is completed. Since we are one parish with two churches, we shall be very happy to welcome all members of St James' to our services at St Thomas' during construction work.
|February 2015||Among recent donations is a very generous grant of £5000 from the Garfield Weston Foundation.
The Foundation was established in 1958 by Willard Garfield Weston, a Canadian businessman who moved to the UK with his family in 1932. He was the creator of Associated British Foods and the Foundation was endowed with the donation of family-owned company shares. As a result, the Foundation is still the ultimate controller of the company today.
The Trustees are all lineal descendants of the founder and they remain committed to continuing the family's philanthropic ethos that has made the Foundation one of the largest and most respected charitable institutions in the country. It gives them as much pleasure to help a small local community project such as ours as a major national organisation. Our contact is the granddaughter of Garfield Weston.
|January 2015||We have now reached the halfway mark in our fund raising, thanks to the great generosity of many in the parish. The central theme of the project is to build, in Murton Church, a small kitchenette for simple refreshments and a disabled WC so that the church can also be used for more community and private events.
We are holding an open afternoon in Murton Church to show the plans that have been produced by our architect.
|9th November 2014||Sunday 9th November was the exact date of the Centenary of the Re-dedication of St James's Church Murton by Archbishop Cosmo Gordon Laing. To celebrate this very special day there was a Service of Thanksgiving and Re-dedication in the afternoon, at which the Preacher was the Bishop of Selby, the Right Reverend John Thomson.|
|12th October 2014||Allan Kettlestring ran the Plusnet Yorkshire marathon, donating his sponsorship money to The Murton Centenary Fund.|
|13th September 2014||The Fine Companions. This well-loved group, with its Murton connections, gave a special concert in Murton Church on Saturday, September 13th.
|19th July 2014||Annual Barbecue at Murton Hall|
|17th May 2014||Two's a Company - Guitar and mandolin evening|
|9th March 2014||John Straker Charity Donation to the Murton Centenary Fund|
|1st June 2012 - 31st May 2013||The Murton Photo Competition ran from June 2012 to the end of May 2013. Here you can see the winners of the competition, some of the other entries and photographs of the celebration event at St James' on Saturday 21st September 2013.|
|13th July 2013||Annual Barbecue at Murton Hall|
|30th June 2013||The Murton Centenary Appeal Cryptic Place Name Quiz was a series of questions about well-known Yorkshire placenames and ran throughout the first half of 2013 with entries closing on 30th June.
For those wishing to know the answers, they can be downloaded here
|20th October 2012||Harvest Lunch in Murton Church|
|1st September 2012||Annual Barbecue at Murton Hall|
|23rd May 2012||Coffee Morning in Osbaldwick Village Hall|
Although St James’s Church, Murton has existed for over 900 years, it fell on particularly hard times after a storm over York in 1834 when the roof caved in.
No one would accept responsibility for the repairs and eventually it was used by local farmers for a refuge for their cattle and pigs. The Vicars took services in the kitchens of the farmers.
In 1912, just a century ago, the Vicar of Osbaldwick and Murton, the Reverend W Ball Wright, found that the deeds for the land were in the hands of the London and Midland Joint Stock Bank. He was told that the Bank was going to sell the land as it was by this time owned by a bankrupt. The Vicar persuaded the Bank to give him the land and he set about rebuilding the church. Alas the Vicar died that year but his successor, the Reverend R O Walker, carried on the work.
Concert parties were arranged and the village and friends raised the money so that the church was rebuilt and reconsecrated on November 14th 1914 by the Archbishop of York, Cosmo Lang (those who saw the film, The King’s Speech, may remember that he was the Archbishop of Canterbury who crowned King George VI).
We are commemorating the work done by our predecessors in Murton and are hoping also to leave something of value for our successors. On idea is to install a kitchen and other amenities in the church so that it can be used for all the community.
We are raising money with a series of events over the next 3 years, the same span of time that our predecessors took, 100 years ago. They gave us back our church; perhaps we can now widen its usefulness and have both a church and a community centre. These events both past and future demonstrate how the community is coming together to celebrate a Murton Centenary.